What are the laws you live by?
In his classic work, Leviathan, published in 1651, English philosopher Thomas Hobbes attempted to codify the natural law in nine precepts, roughly summarized here:
1. Seek peace first, use war as a last resort.
2. Be willing to offer the same freedom to others as to oneself.
3. Practice gratitude.
4. Keep your agreements.
5. Accommodate your own needs to the laws of the community.
6. As appropriate, forgive those who repent.
7. In the case of revenge, focus not on the great evil of the past but the greater good to follow.
8. Never declare hatred of another.
9. Acknowledge the equality of others.